The Chocolate Muffin Recipe that’s Good for You (Kinda Not Really)
If I’m being completely honest, before Chris asked me to share a chocolate muffin recipe, I didn’t have one in my repertoire.
You see, I’ve been know to say that muffins are just ugly cupcakes, and I will stand by that. However, I have also learnt to appreciate muffins for what they are, and not what they aren’t. So, I set out to create the most delicious, moist, chocolatey muffin ever consumed. And not to toot my own horn, but I think I’ve found it.
Now, when you read this chocolate muffin recipe, don’t freak out at the amount of sour cream because I promise you it’s not excessive – it’s necessary! Besides sour cream = dairy, and dairy = calcium, and calcium = strong bones. So basically these muffins will give you strong bones, which means they’re kind of healthy (this is simply male logic and not a factual statement).
These muffins are café-style. And no, I don’t mean that they taste like they’ve been sitting in a glass cabinet for several days. I simply mean they’re generously portioned. So basically, I’m just trying to help you gain your calcium intake for the day (I know, how thoughtful of me. You’re welcome!).
These muffins are seriously delicious, and I even felt a twang of guilt for stereotyping all muffins as ugly. Because chocolate is beautiful inside and out (of muffins). So next time you’re looking for something to do to kill time on a rainy day, give these delicious guys a go. I swear they’ll be your new go-to.
These muffins will give you strong bones, which means they’re kind of healthy (this is simply male logic and not a factual statement).
Easy Chocolate Muffin Recipe
This chocolate muffin recipe makes 12 café-style muffins. If you make these delicious treats, share them with us on Instagram by tagging @mrtimothyjames and @tlifecreative or by using the hashtag #MTJxTLC
– 2cups Self-Raising Flour
– ½cup Cocoa Powder
– 1cup White Sugar
– ½cup White Chocolate Chips
– 1cup Milk Chocolate Chips
– Pinch of Salt
– ½cup Vegetable Oil
– 1½cups Sour Cream
– 2 Eggs
– 2tsps Vanilla Extract
– ¼cup Water
1. Preheat oven to 180oC. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with muffin wrappers.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa, sugar, chocolate chips and salt. Whisk the ingredients to distribute them evenly and remove any lumps of flour or cocoa.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until well combined.
4. Add this mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until fully combined.
5. Stir in the water to loosen up the batter and make it easier to divide.
6. Divide the muffin batter equally between the 12 muffins wrappers.
7. Bake the muffins for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Serve warm or cooled.
Have you ever made muffins from scratch or do you get Woolies to do it for you? Have you ever imposed impossible beauty standards on a muffin, or are you a gentle and loving soul? Tell me all of the things in the comments below!