The Importance of Goal Setting (And Proof it Really Works)
Truth be told, I’ve drifted in and out of goal setting the last few years. It’s not until I look back on 2016 (in which I didn’t set any goals for myself) that I realise why I didn’t achieve a whole lot.
In 2014, for example, I set goals like a boss. I recall writing down loads of plans and aspirations; determine to grab the bull by the horns and make the blog and all the other aspects of my business and personal life amazing.
Last week, a Facebook memory popped up in my feed from the end of 2014 that really put things into perspective.
It showcased the goals I had achieved that year; two presenting gigs on The Morning Show, a shoot I’d styled for Inside Out, a trip I took to Thailand, a sponsored blog getaway I’d been taken on to Dubai, graduating from my interior design school, and the most exciting of all; the book deal I got with Hardie Grant publishing.
It’s that Facebook memory that made me sit down the other day and think… I have to set some goals for 2017. Imagine what I might be doing in a year’s time if I really sit down and map out some dreams for the next 12 months!
Goal Setting Tips for 2017
You’ve gotta be specific
Everything I read from goal gurus out there tell me that goals need to be specific. Concepts like ‘get healthy’ are so vague that it’s really hard to set a plan to achieve them. In 2014, for example, I remember writing down that I wanted a book deal within the next five years. By the end of that year, I had one.
So this time around, in my goal setting for 2017, I want to outline some clear dreams to work toward. I’ll pop them down below in case you’re interested, and I’d love for you to share some of your goals in the comments below as well (there’s a competition tied into this that should give you some extra incentive!).
You’ve gotta write the goals down
Goals aren’t real if they’re just sitting in your head. You forget them, you let them go over time, or you just plain don’t bother working toward them. That’s what happened in 2016 to me and I feel a bit disappointed with where the year went.
When it comes to stationery to set goals in, Mi Goals is my go-to brand. They stock all sorts of packs to get you achieving your dreams; diaries, goal books, progress journals – you name it.
The packs you see in this post are the Entrepreneur pack and the Goal Digger pack. I’m bringing my partner Gavin on-board this year to help me manage the behind-the-scenes aspect of the TLC business, so we now both have a pack to make our dreams a reality.
I honestly believe in the process of writing goals down and putting them into the universe. It’s the only way make yourself accountable to them.
My Business Goals for 2017
For the year ahead, there’s a tonne I want to achieve, but here are a few clear goals:
- Triple the amount of interior design clients I worked with in 2016
- I also want to double the blog readership and improve engagement (interact with you more!)
- I’m now offering a property styling service, which I intend to secure one client a month for
- I’m also offering an e-design service, which I’d like to secure two clients a month for
- I really want to do move TV work this year, so by the end of the year I want to have done three more TV appearances
My Personal Goals for 2017
It can’t be all work and no play, right!? Here are some of the personal goals I’m setting for 2016:
- Connect with other creatives in Melbourne. Go for coffee or a cocktail with at least one new person a month
- Take a small holiday somewhere for a week to disconnect from the world (low-budget, less than $2K)
- Plan and start saving for a larger holiday to take in 2018 (Europe or New York-Hawaii – bigger budget!)
- Get back to running four times a week and reduce my sugar intake significantly
- Take a course in something creative (I’d love to improve my photography skills)
I’m truly looking forward to what the year ahead holds, and having the tools to write my goals out and achieve them is giving me a great sense of purpose and determination. I hope 2017 is equally as awesome for you; and that you achieve everything you dream of!
Share your Goals and Win a Mi Goals Pack
The gang at Mi Goals have been kind enough to offer up two packs for you to win, containing a 2017 Goals Diary and a Get Shit Done A6 notebook (as seen above).
To enter to win: simply drop a comment below sharing one of your goals for the year ahead – it’s that simple!
Competition open to Aus residents only. Comp closes 11.59pm Sunday January 8.