One of the places I often go for interior design ideas and inspiration is the Metricon LookBook. It’s a sublime pocket on their website that showcases over 20 different interior design schemes; from traditional, to modern, and beyond.
The first thing that makes the LookBook so special is the imagery and advice on how you can recreate each theme yourself at home. But the added bonus is that the different looks can be seen up-close and personal in Metricon display homes. And if you ask me, there’s nothing better than experiencing designs like this in person.
One of the latest themes to hit the Metricon LookBook is called California Dreaming. And in today’s post I want to give you some tips on how to nail this look in your own home. Modern coastal interiors are perhaps my fave scheme to play with, so hopefully you get inspired to have a go as well.
How to Pull of Modern Coastal Interiors
Contemporary, Coastal and Casual
A relaxed modernist vibe – that’s so at home in California – was the starting point for creating this theme. An oasis backdrop also played a large part in the inspiration for this look. So you’ll notice that there are coastal influences all over this scheme.
It’s a wonderfully calm and casual look that Metricon’s design team has created here. Senior interior stylist Jacinta Evans tells me that pulling off this style is ultimately about focusing on light and natural spaces, clean lines, and an open and airy coastal vibe.
“The essence of the contemporary coastal style is achieved through the perfect balance of modern simplicity and coastal life,” Jacinta explains, adding that the focus areas for getting this look right is, “muted pastel tones, warm oak timbers and distinct mixes of light and dark woods”.
Easy Cheats to Recreate this Look
Below I’ll give you some quick-fire bullet points to channel modern coastal interiors like this one in your own place:
- Mix light and dark wood tones together to create a base with variance and depth
- Charcoal greys, deep blues and rich tans are a great base palette for this look
- Then, punctuate each space with muted pastel tones to achieve balance
- Accessories in marble, concrete and bright whites helps the styling feel contemporary
- This isn’t a formal look, so soft furnishings with tassels, knits and cabling are a must
- Geometric patterns make the look feel modern and youthful. Try some on cushions
- The look is wonderfully masculine meets feminine; always style with this balance in mind
- Lastly, going literal with coastal-inspired photographic are will work wonders here
Need More Inspo?
The images in this post are just some of the glorious snaps from the California Dreaming LookBook theme. There are loads more – as well as photos of other themes – on the Metricon website here.
If you want to check out the California Dreaming Lookbook theme in-the-flesh, it’s rolled out in the Vantage display home. There are four of them across Melbourne, and you can find your nearest home here.
What are your thoughts about this California Dreaming look? Are you as into it as I am? Drop a comment below and let me know what you’re loving!
This post includes images and/or videos of Metricon display homes and events, reproduced with permission. © Metricon Homes Pty Ltd 2016.