I love nothing more than attending a well-styled soiree, but when you’re the host it suddenly becomes harder. Funny that. Between thinking about the food, the drinks, timing it all and figuring out a polite way to herd guests away when it’s over, it all becomes a little intense. Pass me a champers, stat!
In all this stress, the table is often an area that gets forgotten. But I reckon it’s the easiest pocket to get right without much effort (or much spend). So let’s explore a few easy table styling ideas from William Sonoma and Pottery Barn below. Trust me, you can throw these together when people are coming around for lunch or dinner, without busting a sweat!
1. A Focus on Florals
OK, so this one is easy peasy as long as you have a cheap florist nearby. Here are the simple bits and pieces to keep in mind:
- Throw down a cheap linen tablecloth in a crisp white colour
- Roll a long strip of floral wrapping paper down the centre of the table
- White candles at varying heights will add interest. Run them down the centre too
- Gold cutlery and white fabric napkins tied with pink string will elevate the look
- Place flower bouquets in pink and white shades down the centre of the table
Love the look above? Shop the Gigi collection here.
2. Refined and Rustic
This one takes French provincial in a pared back direction (for when you really can’t be bothered). Here’s some quick tips:
- A weathered wooden table is your friend – no need to cover it up!
- Look to beige, oatmeal and soft grey napkins to add some warmth
- Dinnerware in cream tones and ornate cutlery keeps the overall look soft
- Feel free to mis-match plates, and introduce an array of feminine shapes and patterns
- Bring in greenery from your own garden to keep the vibe earthy and relaxed
Love the look above? Shop the Emma range here.
3. Feminine Farmhouse
A look that feels relaxed, organic and effortless is just what the decor doctor ordered. Here’s how to nail it:
- A cheap white tablecloth that’s easy to clean is the first essential layer
- Roll out some brown butchers paper or similarly affordable table runner
- Crack out some rustic keepsakes like handed-down cutlery and candelabras
- Pop bouquets of greenery in between place settings, and keep it succulent-focussed
- Let guests serve themselves at the table to let food be a part of the decoration
4. Dark and Punchy
If you’re after a look that feels sophisticate but so easy to put together, this one’s for you. Keep the following in mind:
- A dark tablecloth keeps the base feeling grounded and more masculine
- Down the centre of the table, a long but narrow floral arrangement is key – and in bright yellow!
- Keep table settings simple: a plate first, napkin on top in a patten, and then a second plate or bowl
- Name cards pushed into fruits keeps the look playful and brings some whimsy to the scene
- Keep all crockery and cutlery plain and simple; white and stainless steel are your friends
5. Greek Islands
Nothing says fun in the sun like a Greek-inspired table setting. Here are some key pointers for pulling it off:
- A wooden table with exposed grain is a great idea here. Even an outdoor table would work well
- Individual table settings are grounded using round rattan placemats with plates stacked on top
- Introduce some softness through napkins. If you can’t afford fabric, try a soft blue paper option
- Crockery is the star of the show here; choose pieces in bright white and blue patterns
- Glassware should also be bold, and don’t forget some flowers and fruit bowls to finish
Love the look above? Shop the Aerin collection here.
Which of these easy table styling ideas is your fave? Drop me a comment further down or check out some other inspo via the articles below.